Friday, June 11, 2010

The Event ~ Lefsa Making

Did you know dat lefsa was invented by the Norveigen Vikings?  Von day, dey vent and was going to raid Ireland. Vell, dey got over der, but dey couldn't suprise dem Irish people cuz dey were making too much noise coming across da Nort Sea from Norway. When dey got to da shores of Ireland, dey tried to land.
But couldn't. You see da Irish heard dem coming and began throwing der potatoes at dem darn vikings so dat the cud not land. Vel by golly, do you know vat. Dey load that ship vith all da  potatoes dat got trowed at dem, pulled out der oars and finally got back to Norway. When dey got der,  dey played around vith dose potatoes and came up vith a bread, and called it LEFSA. My grate, grate, grate, grate, Granfodder was on dat ship dat raided Ireland. I'm sure glad dey brought it to America other wise we would not have lefsa today.


Norwegians brought lefsa to the United States. They brought their knowledge, griddles, mashers and rolling pins. The result is a delicacy that's part of a special tradition replicated in many Norwegian-American homes. My home is one of them.


The lefse-making tradition holds a special place in my heart.  Lefsa is part of my heritage.  I remember lots of visits to my Grandma and Grandpa Corneliusen's little house in Glendive, MT.  It was a rare occasion when Grandma did not have the lefsa griddle out.  Family gathered there many times, and  Grandma was always prepared to roll out another batch of lefsa on the griddle.  Where there was family gathered, there was lefsa.  Lefsa is a Norwegian treat that I grew up with ~ not because my Mom made it, but because we always ate it at Grandma's house.  My own mother didn't start making it until after Grandma died.  Then she would make it usually only for the Christmas holidays. 

Through the years I began missing that special treat, so I invested in a lefsa griddle and rolling pin, and learned how to make it myself.  I usually only make it at Christmas time as well.  Especially if I know my kids are coming home or we are going to their house.    My kids have become champion lefsa eaters. 

Lefsa is family tradition ~ one I hope my own kids keep alive.  We got a good start at passing on the tradition when we had a lefsa making event at the family reunion.  Everyone got in on it ~ at least the eating part. 

Ah, maybe it's a good weekend to make lefsa!  No kids around.  I can eat it all myself!  No, I wouldn't do that.  I would freeze it till I could share it with family! That would be an event.  Lefsa is a friendly food ~ an eventful friend.



LEFSA
Boil, drain and rinse red potatoes, but be very careful not to over cook them. That’s the key for perfect rolling.   Mash the warm potatoes though a ricer.  Mix together 4 cups riced potatoes, 1 tsp salt, 1/3 cup butter, 1 Tble sugar, ½ cup cream with electric mixer.  Refrigerate over nite, covered loosely with a paper towel to evaporate some of the moisture.   The next day, add 2 1/2 cups flour.   Knead to soft dough.
Roll dough into palm sized balls and return them to the fridge, taking them out a few at a time as you roll them out thin. Cold potatoes are easier to roll than room temp.  Flour  rolling surface well, roll balls out to a  thin 10" circle, and grill with griddle at 400 degrees. (don’t grease the griddle!) Use a lefse stick to get the rolled lefse from the rolling surface to the grill, and to flip on the grill.
When removing lefsa from the grill, place them on several towels to sweat until they are cool.  Enjoy warm with butter.  Once cooled, store in zip lock bag in the fridge, or freeze in freezer bags. Warm in the microwave, butter and enjoy!

1 comment:

fullofgracex9 said...

Mmm...really glad to have this passed on to us! And even more glad that my family likes it too!