Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Event ~ Nature and the Bird Visits

We can't tangle with Mother Nature.  We shouldn't even ask "why" Mother Nature acts and reacts as she does.  Weather is a force of nature that only God is in control of.  Those of faith don't ask "why"? 

I wrote in an earlier blog that I claim "In everything give thanks" as my life scripture.  With the severe thunder storms ravaging across the Panhandle of Nebraska the last two weeks bringing lots of hail and several intermittant dancing tornados we still have much to be thankful for.  Our homes are still standing, our crops are still growing ~ unlike other areas of the country and the world.  Nebraska is still the good life. 

The prediction is for continued severe storms through the next several days.  We already have two broken windows and alot of holes in the siding on the north side of our house.  Minor, compared to damage in the surrounding communities. 

We feel anxiety creeping in regarding the hay crop.  It's not easy to reap a productive hay harvest in this kind of weather.  I was so excited last Saturday and Sunday when we got about 1800 bales put up in excellent condition.  Tim raked while I baled.  Then he went to get the stacker ready.  Before he could get to the field to start stacking, we had the hardest downpour of rain I can ever remember.  So there sits our beautiful bales in the field soaking in moisture.   And they've been rained on every nite since.  And will be again tonite. 

However, the calm after the storm is so beautiful.   This morning I got up at 5 a.m. again for my two-mile brisk walk, and it was absolutely beautiful and fresh. Mother Nature at her best. Much to my surprise, I was met by a hawk sitting in the driveway. It spread it's wings, but didn't attempt to fly off, not even with the dog at my feet.  I snapped a picture within a foot of the hawk ~ really stupid considering the hawk could have attacked me instantly being that close! 

I wonder if that is the same hawk that took away our three baby kittens last week.  We had the sweetest, tamest kittens in the hay barn.  One morning last week two were gone.  The next morning the third one was gone.  No animal tracks left in the dust or anything.  We figured it was a hawk.  Sad!   

A year or so ago a pelican came to visit us.  He too was gracing our driveway.  Where in the world does a pelican come from in this area?  He hung around for a few hours and disappeared never to be seen again. Experiencing the many faces and diversity of Mother Nature is an event we get to enjoy in Nebraska.  Nature is an eventful friend.

I feel blessed to be able to enjoy the lush days of summer, the royal colors of fall, the sparkling snow of winter, and the fresh greens of spring.  Yes, Nebraska is the good life, and Mother Nature does treat us well.   

No comments: