In the late 1950's early 1960's there was a popular weekly tv series called Have Gun - Will Travel. I remember his name was Paladin. I think he wore black, but he was a good guy. That’s all I recall. Which has nothing to do with this blog entry, other than the name ~ Have Cabbage Burgers - Will Travel.
Whenever I took trips ~ and continue to take trips ~ to see my grown children, cabbage burgers go with me. They have travelled to Omaha and Lincoln; San Luis Obispo, Pleasanton, Oakland and Sonoma, California; Boston, Massachusetts; Chicago, Illinois; Elkhart, Indiana; Buena Vista, Colorado; Phoenix Arizona; and Skagway, Alaska. Frozen cabbage burgers travel well in suitcases, by plane, train, automobile, and ferry; they've been shipped to destinations when I can't go. Cabbage burgers taste oh-so-o-o-goo-ood at the end of their journey all over the country. Wherever the kids are at, cabbage burgers are sure to go. And not just a few. I usually pack two dozen in the suitcases. And no, the clothes don't smell like food!
Cabbage burgers are an item I married into. I did not grow up with them. It was and is a popular meat sandwich among all the Germans in this area. Being on the receiving end of Mom’s homemade cabbage burgers is definitely an event my kids thoroughly enjoy. I hope my kids will bake these in their own kitchens someday to keep a favorite from becoming extinct! CABBAGE BURGERS
* Bread dough.
*Filling: 2 pounds ground hamburger, 1 med head cabbage, shredded, 1 large onion, diced, salt & pepper to taste.
Brown hamburger and onions. Season generously with salt & pepper to taste. Drain grease. Shred cabbage and blanche in water in large covered kettle about 5-8 minutes. Salt generously. Do not overcook. Drain water. Combine meat and cabbage in same kettle and mix well. Roll out bread dough to 1/8” thickness (thin, but not see through thin). Cut into 4” squares. Put generous spoonful of mixture on center of square and bring four corners together and pinch seams shut. Place seam side down on greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden brown. (Optional: after removing from oven rub shortening on top of each with a paper towel)


No comments:
Post a Comment