Friday, June 4, 2010

The Event ~ Garage Sales

I don't know why, but I rather enjoy garage sales.  I have absolutely everything I need or want, so why in the world would I want to spend valuable time and expensive gas running all over town scrounging through other people's junk that they don't want???  Good question.  I don't have an answer, other than to me it's a challenge to find a good bargain (that I really don't need), and for no other reason than enjoying an acceptable social outlet.

When I don't garage sale on a weekend, I find myself wondering what I might be missing.  Oh, that's really sick! 

Two weeks ago I had my own garage sale.  It looked more like a set-up for an auction ~ all those treasures sitting out on about 20 tables, and also overflowing under  the  60' overhang in front of the garage.  Note:  When it's my stuff, it's treasures and good stuff.  When it's somebody elses, it's junk!  Ha-ha!   Most of it came from a house full of stuff Tim bought to help a lady out who didn't have time for an auction.  We had already offered all the furniture and big items at auction, but had alot of the little things left.     I also had my mother's stuff that we brought home from Billings when she moved into a retirement apartment.  Then there was all the "good" stuff left over at auctions that we hauled home.  And finally a few things of my own stuff needing a new life elsewhere.    It was a $1,250 day.  Left over items filled only a few boxes that went to Goodwill.

It was a good feeling to see the shelves in my garage empty again.  Well, far from empty, but not stuffed and overflowing.  So again, I don't understand why I would even want to go garage saling!  I am very selective at garage sales.   Last week I brought home three really nice coffee cups that had a good feel in the hand and didn't have words or advertising ~ all for a buck.  I want to find more and get rid of all my eclectic coffee mugs.  But I am really picky about the weight, feel, size, texture, etc of coffee cups/mugs.  Also found a cool white cowgirl hat for Mathilda for $.50, and a new princess Barbie doll for her for $1.  Today, for $5, I bought some really nice fabric to make four more crib size quilts for the Linus Project.  One cute child's quilt is nearly done and I just have to bind it to finish it.   The Linus Project is a project collecting hand-made quilts for children in hospitals.

In the past I've found some really great things that have been practical and useful, and great buys, things I truly do enjoy, but more often than not garage saleing can be a waste of time and gas.  I talk myself out of going more often than I actually go.  So this weekend, I think I will stay home and enjoy my other hobby of quilting with today's garage sale bargain. 

Garage sales are events that can be enjoyed in moderation as long as I don't become obsessed with them!   An event that can actually be fun, occasionally!

No comments: