Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Event ~ Today with Trivial Bits and Pieces

Lately I have felt so frazzled!  I sometimes feel I am living my life in bits and pieces, never really enjoying the moment of anything, but at the same time being thanksful for everything.  I feel I have a real long to-do list and no time to do it.  Actually, I do have time, but run out of energy!  Half of my to-do list is dependent on my husband and son to accomplish.  And that is a slow process, too!

As I'm looking ahead to Thanksgiving next week and hosting not only Thanksgiving day dinner for 25 people, but also the next day with a football fest with 28 people, I want all the loose ends of my to do list wrapped up and finished in an effort to put my house in order and make a clean first impression with Cash's future in-laws who we will meet at our house for the first time. 

Is that important?  Not really, but loose ends left undone does not fit in with my organized character.  And lately I feel very unorganized, which leaves me feeling frazzled. 

I enjoy cooking for a crowd, so hosting these two days is something I take great pleasure in.  Which is completely contradictory to my "hate to cook" and "cookbook intimidation"  which is part of who I am.   But before then, I want to paint my front door, paint the mop boards and other touch up painting, install a new kitchen sink,  install the second kitchen replacement window (one is done), mow the lawn one last time, sort through my basket of recipes that I 've collected because they look good to make but have since gotten lost in the pile of collected recipes;  reconstruct the basement bathroom (which won't happen until after Christmas); move the organ out of the house (and hopefully get rid of it by finally giving it away because no one really wants them anymore); perhaps get out a few Thanksgiving or Christmas decor (that's not high on my priority list);  finalize my two-day menus; write a Thanksgiving letter, which I enjoy doing now more than at Christmas time; prepare my surprise package for my husband for our anniversary; start another quilt (for my own pleasure and relaxation); polish my hardwood floors again (they looked so nice for a long time after I did it last spring ~ just a simple mop on procedure); prepare the children's semonette for the 28th with a dialogue for Woody; and more that I've already forgotten that I want to do!

In addition to the above, I must make a cake tonite to take in to a funeral dinner tomorrow.  I am glad to do that.   I also want to prepare something to take over to my dear friends whose father died last nite.  Richard and Cindy Groskopf's father died early this morning, and I want to be there for her.

Last night I took the time to attend a fund-raiser concert for Camp Scott (camp for children with disabilities), featuring a trio of old ladies (Sweethearts in Carharts) singing country music Christmas songs.  It was ok.  I thought it would lift my spirits.  It didn't.

But I did get a hair perm yesterday morning which lifted my spirits.  I haven't had a perm in years, and it's fun to have curls again for however long they will last.  My hair is so fine and straight that even perm curls don't last very long.  This picture is totally not me ~ yuck!  But I'll leave it in anyway. 

Today I am going to lunch with another dear friend, Sharon Kaufman.  She is a good confidante friend who I can share alot with.  We've been prayer partners in the past and walking partners in the past.  It will be good to share lunch together and be a listening ear for each other.  I sense she is feeling stressed at the moment also.  Sharing is good for the soul. 

Alexis called me to invite us to California for Christmas.  The thought had earlier crossed my mind.  Now I am excited about that possibility, but am discouraged because I cannot find affordable airline tickets for holiday travel.  Will have to continue to work on that, AFTER I discuss the possibility with Tim.  The question always is "Who will take care of the cows over the holidays!"

I'm actually busy at work (imagine that)!  My busy time at work is from October through March. 

I just opened my fortune cookie from lunch today, for an afternoon snack.  Sharon and I ate at a new "Tea Garden" oriental restaurant where Country Kitchen used to be.  The fortune read "You can only be happy when you are in the process of achieving a goal."  Hm-m-m-m. . . .  As rewarding as it is to actually accomlish and achieve all the above goals, I can be quite content and happy not doing anything at all!  Because we all need that down time for rest and relaxation, and I can certainly be happy while resting!

Now I will try to pick up the bits and pieces of my frazzled daily life, and attend to completing one or more of the above tasks in the next several days!   Yes, daily life is an event ~ an event to be lived one day at a time, bit by bit!  

No comments: