Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Event ~ Shopping Goodwill

My friend, Becky, got me hooked on Goodwill about two years ago.  So often I would compliment her on her nice outfit she was wearing, and she would proudly reply it was her latest Goodwill bargain. 

While I was losing 50 pounds two years ago I decided to check out Goodwill to see if I could find some "transition" clothing while in the process of losing.  It would be better to buy cheap for a short period of time as I dropped from one size to the next. 

I ended up dropping four sizes and am still shopping Goodwill.  I was at first giddy and ecstatic about all the really nice clothing I was finding for $2 - $3, and even more so as I pulled size 10's off the racks and they fit!  In the last two years, my entire new wardrobe has come from Goodwill.  I have more nice clothes in the closet now than I have ever had before, and they have cost me pennies compared to my previous favorite store, Herbergers!   The only things I have bought in a "regular" store in the last two years has been socks, shoes, and earrings!

I have come to the conclusion that one has to get very familiar with their local Goodwill store and visit often to find the "just like new" "perfect fit" "just what I was looking for"  clothing.  I am also totally amazed at the people that shop there.  I probably  visit the store about once every two weeks so as not to miss a $3 item that's a perfect fit for me! 

Needless to say, with the expanded wardrobe (quantity, not size), there is absolutely no more pieces of clothing that I need.  But it is still fun to look.  Last week I found a beautiful red cashmere sweater, and a second red sweater specifically for game day.  They both had such a perfect fit, I couldn't pass either up.  The cashmere is so soft and warm for those cold, winter days ~ I'm still waiting for a cold winter day to wear it!

I have found nice clothing for the grandkids and almost have Janel hooked on shopping Goodwill when she comes here.  And I've even brought home a few shirts, a pair of pants, and some summer shorts for Tim.

I am very careful in what I choose to buy ~ items that reflect no wear, no pilling, no faded tags.  Faded tags means alot of washings which means alot of wear!  I have  been successful in finding lots of higher end brand names.  I understand that clothing that is dropped off at Goodwill here usually gets shipped out to other stores, and our local store gets its clothing brought in from other cities.  It creates a a better mix!  That might explain alot of the high end brands I've found. 

With the tight economy the way it is lately, it only makes sense to support the local Goodwill!  It's been alot of fun, and I enjoy having the nice affordable selections in my own closet!

Happy shopping ~ happy savings! I've been having  hilariously eventful shopping sprees at Goodwill!

1 comment:

fullofgracex9 said...

Looking forward to some good Goodwill shopping over Thanksgiving. :)