Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Event ~ Identifying Favorites

favorite:  one that is treated or regarded with special liking.  According to Webster.

We all have favorites of different things in life.  Actually identifying favorites, acknowledging favorites, admitting favorites can be a process. Some are easy and can be rattled off immediately.

Color:  Green.     Least favorite:  Blue

Well, that's my list off the top of my head.  My only purpose in writing this silly entry today is to offer another glimpse into my life ~ a glimpse of the little things that make everyday living an event.  Now to put some thought into it:

Season:  Autumn        Least:  Summer

Food:  fresh baked bread, soft fresh baked choc chip cookies, my melt-in-mouth minute steak,  calico beans, potatoes and glace, and tortilla chips with layered bean dip!

Dessert:  my homemade chocolate pudding in a pie shell with fresh whipped cream and/or Chocolate Eclair, both Cash's favorites.  A new second favorite is Pink Lemonade Dessert, a recipe from Janel's mother-in-law.

Vegetable:  steamed broccoli and steamed cabbage

Song:   Rhythm of the Rain (then)     (classics - now)  Unfortunately, I'm not really into music enough today to honestly identify a favorite song of today.  I listen  to easy listening music, but don't pay attention to words.  I find myself favoring nostalgic music rather than modern music.

Hymn:  "Go Gently Through the Years"  This song has been sung at several special events for me.  Our former minister Larry Scovil sang it at both Alexis and Cash's confirmation,  and also the Sunday of Cash's high school graduation; and all the grandkids sang it at my parents 50th anniversary.  It sends a good message whenever and wherever it is sung.  It has special meaning for me. 

Book:  I don't read much, so when I do it's because I have really gotten into a book and can't put it down, so consequently really like it.  The last book I read was Terry Fator's autobiography "Look Who's the Dummy Now", so now that must be my favorite.  Obviously, I don't get into deep reading!  The "Love Comes Softly" classic series by Janette Oke touched my heart years ago when I got the first book of the series from a dear friend, Mickie Becker.   I enjoy watching that entire "Love" series on tv.  I don't like Cookbooks.  They are too overwhelming and mind boggling!

TV show:   Boston Legal, Columbo ~ recently   
The Walton's  ~ back then      
Least:  ER  (I could not tolerate watching this show)  I also enjoy HGTV design shows, house hunters, and food network shows

Hobby:  Ventriloquism, quilting

Pasttime:   Organizing  I will organize anything ~ closets, junk, trips, garage, papers, finances. . .              Least:  Cooking on a daily basis

Magazine:  Guideposts

Place outside of home:  Quiet, sandy beach listening to the sounds of the ocean      Least:  Mall     The oceon intrigues me and can be calming.  The mall tires me.

Movie:  Dr. Zhivago (then - released 1965 )
           The Majestic  (now - released 2001)

Genre:  Romance and War         Least:  Sci-Fi and Horror

Holiday:  Thanksgiving

Sanctuary:  My home

Scripture:  Phillipians 4:6  In everything give thanks!    Ephesians 5:20  Giving thanks always for all things!

I may add more favorites in the near future if I can think of more!   These favorites help identify who I am as an eventful person!

  

No comments: