Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Event ~ Two + Nine

A whole week with the seven grandkids!  Tim (son-in-law) and Janel and their seven kids came to vacation at Grandpa's farm for a week.  They came also to attend Janel's 20th class reunion.  Wow!  Has it been that long? 
Ben, Mathilda,  Jakob, Amelia, Joshua,  Joe,  Jonathan,  Me
           5       6 1/2        11 1/2        1         9 1/2      3       8 1/2                        

When two empty nesters add nine more people to the household and the dining room table for a week, it can be quite challenging for this Grandma.  But I'll never turn down the opportunity to have them spend time here.  There is certainly never a dull moment ~ or a quiet one!  
        
We played a little ball on the back lawn,  finished off the simple little fireworks that we didn't do on the 4th, played in the sprinkler, enjoyed a water balloon fight, lit the open fireplace and roasted marshmellows. 
The kids did a little irrigating with Grandpa.  One night we all enjoyed watching John Wayne's "The Cowboys" about a dozen young boys from 8 - 15 on a cattle drive.  A very fitting movie for our crew. 
We spent an evening at the lake where the kids camped.  Tim donned his swim suit and enjoyed a good time in the water with the kids.  First time I can remember him ever being in the lake and having so much fun!  We enjoyed campfire dinner and lingering longer until the wind blew us home ~ literally!  The cowboy coffee was so good!
Janel, Mathilda and I had a pedicure/manicure session in our living room.   That was a fun girls' activity. 
It's fun spending time with the kids when there is no rush to attend a special activity ~ we can just hang out!  Hanging out with the grandkids is an event I cherish.  It is an eventful time!  My grandkids are my eventful friends for life!  I love them all.  I may not like them all the time, but all the time I love them! 

1 comment:

Melissa Amateis said...

Wow - that had to be quite the shock to the system to add 9 more people to the house! But it looks like you had a thoroughly wonderful time. :-)