Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Event ~ A July 4th Weekend

Sure, July 4th is suppose to be a day of celebrating America.  But I didn't get into it much this year.  July 4th was on a Sunday, so I enjoyed a celebration of fellowship and praise in church to start the day.  But the rest of the three-day weekend was filled with "to do" list activities.

It started Friday evening after work when I canned 28 pints of fresh cherries.  Tim and I love those home-canned cherries.  We will share a jar in the evening while watching tv.  I make sure I suck all the juice out of every one of the pits ~ that's how good they are.  I think we both prefer them over my canned peaches and pears. 

Saturday I weeded the garden in the cool of the morning, dusted the vegetables, and treated all with miracle grow.  The romaine lettuce is fantastic.  I've never planted romaine before, but that's what I will plant from now on.  

 I used to plant a large garden which was so much work I didn't enjoy it, and much produce went to waste.  After a few years of not planting any garden I started missing the fresh garden produce.  So the last three years I have planted a small circular garden which is  much easier to care for and produces quite well.  4 tomato plants, 6 cabbage plants, 2 zuchinni (1 too many), 3 peppers, 4 cucumbers, a short row of onions, lettuce, beans, & spinach, with a few radishes here and there.  I think I'll pick the first cucumber of the season tonite.

The patio got cleaned in anticipation of a Sunday nite barbeque that didn't happen because of a rain storm. 

The neighbors called to let us know a  mare was birthing, and I should bring Ben, who is with us for about three weeks, over to experience the event.  We missed the actual birth by a few minutes, but enjoyed watching the new mother care for her foal.   Ben thought it was cool, except for the yucky afterbirth. 


I did some deep cleaning in the basement, including moving the 13-pc drums and cymbal set to the garage ready for the new owners to pick it up some day soon.  Yes, after 11 years of sitting idle in the basement,  I finally got it sold for Cash for cash.  The thought of selling his drums is bitter sweet.  They were so much a part of his life. Then I cleaned out under the stairwell and created two boxes of  Christmas decorations that will go to the next auction or garage sale, organized the Christmas wrapping paper/gift bags so I can find what I need when I need it, moved the nail hangers under the stairwell for the out-of season work coats so they would hang out of my way, organized the winter boots/gloves/hat box under the stairwell.  The desk area got cleared of stuff that needed to go into storage.  Finally, I created more shoe space in the bottom of my closet, so shoes wouldn't be heaped in a pile.    It left me with a good feeling.  What an event to accomplish that project that's been on my list for a long time!


I also baked the usual 8 loaves of freshly ground whole wheat bread that my family was raised on.  There's nothing more inviting in the kitchen than the smell of fresh home-baked bread!



The rain moved the July 4th hamburger fry inside and cancelled the fireworks show so our guests gathered around the dining room table for a three-hour game of Mexican Train.  Gathered around the table with Tim are Sharon and Larry Kaufman, Don and Becky Kerbel, Scott and Joel Pearl.
It was a fun evening anyway, an uneventful 4th of July, but an eventful weekend because I accomplished alot!  Now that's an event!

Tim, Sharon/Larry Kaufman; Don Kerbel,
Scott/Joel Pearl, Becky Kerbel
 

No comments: