On an earlier post I commented on my Dad’s love for poetry. He enjoyed reading books of poems, reciting poems, and writing poems. When I was recently doing more deep cleaning of junk drawers and purging stuff, I came across several of the poems he had written to my Mom.
They were among things my Mom sent to me when she was purging her own stuff and preparing to move from her house into a smaller apartment just a year ago. I am sure she reached the point where she no longer felt the need to keep sentimental things that would only make her cry if she should ever review them ~ which she probably never would since they were deeply packed away anyway. And if they are packed away, why keep them.
Now this “stuff” is at my house, at least it was until my “purging weekend”! As a keepsake in memory of my father, I am posting only a few of his poetic works just as he wrote them so when this journal is printed and bound, Daddy's poems will be included. They are nothing fancy, just words from the heart penned ~ or typed ~ on whatever paper he could find, sometimes taped in a card as this first one below was.
The last time I heard Daddy recite poetry was the day after Janel’s wedding when he recited a silly poem to Tim and Janel. I have that on video, and I want to try to capture the words and add them to this post soon.
These are only a sampling. There were other poems which captured hardships and trials as well as love and joy.
I don't think any purchased gift from the store could be cherished as much as thoughts from the heart. Receiving these poems must have been a sentimental event for my Mom. Penning them was a joyful event for my Dad. Now they can be preserved as eventful memories in my Eventful Friends journal.







No comments:
Post a Comment