Monday, January 31, 2011

The Event ~ The Piano Recital

It's been a long time since I attended a piano recital.  I remember going to my own piano recitals in the late 50's, early 60's.  I took lessons for at least six years, but I  was never musically inclined and it was always a difficult endeavor for me. 

My three kids took organ/piano lessons and we enjoyed their recitals many years ago.  Last Sunday, 1/25/11, I had the opportunity to attend the first piano recital of my first four grandchildren.  It was a small event consisting of a dozen + young students and lasted all of twenty minutes.  Each student played two songs, starting with the youngest child and advancing to the oldest and more advanced students.  It was a pleasure and delight to watch and listen to all the children - not just my own grandkids.  The simple little starter songs brought back memories.  The kids did great and I was really proud to hear and see how much Jakob, Josh, Jon and Mattie had learned on the keyboard in the very short time they have been taking lessons.  I see some natural talent and some struggle between the four of them.  No matter how long they stick with it, any piano training is basic and a stepping stone for music involvement as they mature. 

Their first piano recital was a memorable event.  I'm glad I was able to attend!

2 comments:

fullofgracex9 said...

We were so glad that you could be here to attend their recital! Just think about what they'll be able to play next year!!

Cash said...

Piano lessons are great, but an organ scholar is far superior.... haha