Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Event ~ Construction Zone

Owning a home can mean living in a virtual construction zone for life.  Tim and I have lived in four houses in the 40 years we have been married.  Every one of them required construction and/or repair work of some sort at some point in time.  Always upon moving into the house or prior to moving in, and then ongoing projects thereafter. 

Currently, we have been living in "construction zone" mode for about the last four months.  It started with the roofing of our house in September.  Then on to residing of our house in October, due to summer hail storms.  Cash took on that project.   We took that opportunity to insulate as well.  I also learned how to replace window screens myself instead of paying $40 for a "professional" to do the five minute job.   We still have to get the windows re-wrapped when the weather warms. 

Cash tore out the back door entry floor and replaced it with tile, and went on to sand and paint the front door red (which still needs a few more coats of red paint when the weather warms.)  Then it was on to replacing the kitchen sink.  Yep, we threw out the kitchen sink!  I beat up the old sink so badly, we couldn't stand to look at it anymore.  Now I have a nice new gleaming sink which I am taking great effort to take care of and keep it clean.

Then the steel roofers showed up and replaced the hay shed and the shop roofs with bright shiny new red roofs, again as a result of the severe summer hail storms.  The red roofs certainly add pizzaz to the farm.  Tim and Cash still have to replace the small barn roof, which they decided to do themselves and pocket the labor profit themselves. 

Currently, the bathroom in the basement is completed gutted.  What started out to be a minor patch job of a couple moisture soft spots in the walls near the shower quickly snowballed into a major renovation that now includes the installation of new flooring in the bathroom, hallways,  and one bedroom; the removal of our red desk area in the basement foyer; a new bathroom sink, a nice round glass shower, moving the sink plumbing from east to west wall and moving the softener and distiller plumbing from west to east wall; adding  a vent fan and a new light in the ceiling.    


This project was NOT my idea.  Only the patch job was on my honey-do list.  But it will be a pleasant improvement when finished.  Thank you!

In the past week Tim, Cash and I have become very familiar with the local super Menard's store which we hardly ever stepped foot in before.  But we quickly discovered they are far less expensive than the other remodel supply stores in town.  And the service has been quite good, too.  Surprise, surprise! 

Again when the weather warms, I have a gallon of paint waiting to be rolled on the cement foundation of the house.  I guess that is my project to look forward to. 

It's amazing how we can live in our own "dirt" without really seeing the disgusting stuff until we really get down and into it.  When we get this project done, it's going to be nice, and make our main upstairs bathroom look disgusting!    Alas, where does it ever end?

1 comment:

fullofgracex9 said...

Can't wait to see the finished result. I'm sure the projects never end, but I'm finding for myself that it is much more fun to renovate and remodel an old home than a new one! :)