Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Event ~ A Mother’s Love

  A tribute to my mother!
Mother - 1957 and 2005
A Mother’s love is something that no one can explain. It’s devotion is deep, it’s sacrifice is endless and unselfish. Nothing can destroy or take away a mother’s love ~ sometimes it can falter, sometimes it is touched with hurt and pain, but it bounces back and never fails. It is patient and forgiving.

Blessed is the mother who can be thankful and proud of their children. I am one of those mothers. And so is my own mother.

My mom’s love for her four children has been endless and enduring. Her children include my three brothers ~ Allen, Vern and Kelly. I am second of the four.  There was another son that died shortly after he was born - Gregory Van.  Not many people know that.  We have never talked about him.

Mom has always been there for all four of us. She hurts when we hurt. She worries about us even when we don’t. She shares our concerns and anxieties. She rejoices when we rejoice. A mother will always worry about the well being of her children, no matter what the age.  My Mom worries alot about all of us.  I don't know why!?

As I was growing up, I remember my mom helping daddy as his parts manager, bookkeeper, and sales person in the Massey Ferguson implement business; working as a nurse's aid in the hospital; working as the assistant cook at the school for many, many years; selling Avon for a number of years; and working side by side with Dad in his water distillation/wheat grinder/Bosch kitchen machine/bread baking business.   Mom was a hard worker.  But she was always there when we needed her.  She was an excellent cook, too!



In 2005 all four of us (her children) gathered with our families and gave her a surprise 75th birthday party in Billings. .She was truly surprised and it was, indeed, a celebration for all of us!  There were about 100 friends and relatives that gathered for her birthday dinner at a restaurant. 

Ever since I can remember, Mom has been faithful in her love for God.  I remember her teaching Sunday School and Bible School for many years.  She was an excellent singer, yodeler and accordian player. 

My mom is one of the most selfless people I know. She has always and still is very giving, always thinking of others and lending a helping hand when she sees a need.

Mom has suffered her share of hardships through the years.  God never promises anyone immunity from hardship.  Trials draw us closer to Him.  My mom is a survivor with a tender heart and a heart filled with compassion for others.   

A year ago today,  August 29, 2009, Mom moved from her home at 922 Yellowstone River Road that she has known for the past 25 years or so to a senior citizen apartment complex. The decision to sell her mobile home and make the move was a very difficult decision that caused her a lot of stress. She doesn’t make decisions easily.  Maybe I inherited that from her, as I don't make decisions easily either.   Tim and I drove to Billings to help her move, as did my brothers Allen and Kelly.

1993
A year later now, she has numerous new friends, has taken on leadership roles in her apartment complex, and loves her new space. She is quick to agree it was absolutely the right move for her.

Feb 2010 with Joe
It's bittersweet watching a parent grow older. The aging process takes it toll, but to have a parent live a long healthy life is a blessinig.  It is, of course, hard to lose a parent ~ my dad died in 1998, suddenly and unexpected. The years following were painful for Mom. However, my mom has aged very gracefully. I can only hope I’m as active and spirited and beautiful at age 80 as she is.   She will celebrate her 80th birthday on November 5, 2010.   Another milestone! 

Mom continues with her hobby of metal detecting, which gets her outdoors and lots of walking exercise.        It keeps her young. In 1999 she and her metal detecting hobby were a feature article in the  magazine  Woman's World.

She recently made yet another road trip ~ all by herself ~ to Nebraska in June.  That may be the last time she drives the 7 hour trip to Nebraska as it gets harder for her each time.  We have loved and enjoyed every time she has graced our home with her presence. 


She has a new special friend now, and that is her cat, Mia. It was a farm kitten here that we took to Mom in July 2009, because we thought she needed a pet companion. She gave it up for adoption once, only to retrieve it back. The cat has frustrated her especially with its biting, but she dearly loves her  pet Mia.
2009 - Kelly, Allen, Mom, Sandi, Vern

Memories of Mom are vivid in my mind from childhood on through the years. Mom, I love you. You have been an Eventful Mother and Friend  in my life forever.

No comments: