Friday, August 13, 2010

The Event ~ Six Going on Sixteen

Grandparenting is a special event.  When the grandkids live seven hours away, it's a treat for us when we can have them come visit us one at a time.  We have been so fortunate for the last ten years because our grandkids are not afraid to leave home by themselves to spend a week or two at our little farm.  I know some kids who wouldn't leave home for a day without mama; and I know some parents who wouldn't let their kids leave on a road trip across the state without them.  So we are indeed fortunate.

Our first treat was when Jakob was only two years old and he came to Scottsbluff for a week or so ~ I can't remember how long that first visit was.  I do remember the trip back to Lincoln though.  Grandma Esther was with us, and as Jakob sat in his car seat in the back, he jabbered the whole way.  He was a great talker at age two ~ talking in clear, crisp sentences.  I remember exactly him asking Great Grandma Esther "Grandma Esther, are you having a happy day  today?"   Cute!                                                                        

Each fall or summer since, we've had a kid or two ~ one at a tme, starting when they are about two years old. Since the first of the year, we have had Joe for a couple weeks, then  Ben for a couple more weeks, and then I think Joe came back.   This summer we have again had Ben for three weeks, Josh for 10 days, and now we changed sexes, and have Mathilda Grace for one week.   The kids all enjoy riding the horse when they come to the farm.   And Mattie probably enjoys riding more than any of them. 

It's been awhile since Mattie has been here by herself.  The last time she was here by herself, she was a sweet, adorable  little 3 or 4 year old.  Now that Mathilda is 16, it's been quite a switch from keeping the boys.  Changing of the sexes certainly brings change.  We were getting used to the boys.  Now this 7 year old ~ going on 16 ~ comes and it's just not as easy.  It's kinda hair raising!  But we love her just the same. 

She has spent her entire week with Grandpa, and he has been on the receiving end of her "going on 16 sassy and dramatic antics"!  She is certainly not afraid to speak her mind and claim her independence!  So much drama!

When Mathilda is sleeping, she is definitely seven again.  Actually, right now she is still six, but since her birthday is in a few days, I can say she's seven.  I enjoy seeing her play with the dolls.  Actually she doesn't play with them ~ she only slumbers with them.  Everynite she prepares a slumber party, sleeping with her friends on the floor.

Sweet, sweet Mathilda.  You have to slow down a bit.  Sweet 16 will come soon enough!

1 comment:

fullofgracex9 said...

When I was pregnant with Mathilda, I was petrified of having a girl. You're experiencing the biggest reason. I don't miss the sassiness, but I miss Mattie. We're eager to have her home again. :) I'm sure she's enjoyed her time with you very much.