Tim and I went to the movie last nite ~ a documentary called "Scrappers ~ How the Heartland Won World War II." It was the 7th showing of a 7 day Nebraska statewide premier about how Nebraska inspired the nation and helped change the course of World War II ~ with nothing more than scrap metal, patriotism, and creative competition.
Those who participated back in 1942 remember it well. This was new knowledge to me. I had no idea. When America got involved in World War II after Japan unexpectedly bombed Pearl Harbor, America was not prepared to be a big player in the war. We had not enough ammunition, not enough ships, not enough planes or tanks, etc. And no steel or metal to make any. The steel plants were shutting down.
Someone in Nebraska started a scrap iron drive to do his part to help America. Others followed suit. Then a contest was started which pitted county against county in a competition that brought in 67,000 tons of metal, 104 pounds for every man, woman and child in Nebraska. Young and old came together saving tinfoil and pots and pans from the kitchen and gathering up broken down farm equipment to be "recycled" into new war production before the word "recycling" was in vogue.
The drive inspired a national effort and national competition that yielded 5 million tons of metal. Although Nebraska started it, and had three weeks head start, the state of Kansas ended up winning the nation-wide contest with the most scrap collected. Nebraska came in 6th.
It was inspiring to see Americans pulling together for this cause. It was an inspiring movie ~ an event I enjoyed ~ an event where I learned something new. Even during war, there was something good about those days that I think is forever lost in today's American society.
It was a good documentary. A good event.
End of an era
8 months ago

1 comment:
Oh wow! I didn't know this! Thanks for sharing. I have to see if I can watch that movie, too!
Post a Comment