Friday, May 21, 2010

The Event ~ Jesus and Soup

I mentioned in my first blog an event that took place back in or around 1979.  One should always make note of the important events in life such as this, and not rely on memory.  Memory is an event that tends to fail us occasionally!

As a young mother I started attending Christian Women's luncheon clubs back in or around 1975 - again memory fails me.  Someone must have invited me.  Oh yes ~  It was my friend Mickey Becker!  Of course!  I remember the first one I attended was held at what is now Oregon Trail Bar and Lounge!  They were held there for a long time before moving to a new location.    My children probably remember the monthly trip to Scottsbluff when I left them in the CWC nursery while I attended the luncheon.   I remember wanting what those speaker ladies had - knowing Christ personally, as a friend ~ an eventful friend and having that peace!

And then one day,  two friends ~ Shari Fiscus and Joanne Schmall ~ came to my house and we sat around my dining room table and they led me through the steps of asking Jesus into my life, to knowing him personally.  I remember feeling like that new born, hungry for the Word.  Devotions became a part of my day, prayer became a part of my day.  I made it part of my children's day.  I grew as a Christian and became part of the leadership team for CWC for several years after that. 
 
Those two friends, I remember, brought a pot of soup to my house when I came home from the hospital with my new born son, Cash.  We shared soup together.  That's what good friends who love you enough to lead you to Jesus do!  Share soup! Those two days with those two friends were eventful days in my life.  I am very content with soup and Jesus!

Those two friends have come and gone in my life.  Oh, they are still around, but now merely acquaintances.  It is an eventful day when I meet them somewhere ~ in a store, on the street, at another event.    Friends weave in and out of life.    Mickey Becker however, is still a close friend in heart, though we don't see each other much, but have tried to keep in touch over the years.  My girls and her girls remain very good friends from childhood.  And now, to my surprise, my son and her son have reconnected as friends.  What an event!

Now,  I would not have expected that my first blogs would be about people who are not close to me.  Blogging can be good for the soul as thoughts pour out over the keyboard, and I am surprised at what I leave here.  This is truly an eventful day as I remember eventful friends from the past.

No comments: