Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Event ~ Content in Who? or What?

My friend sent me a daily devotion last week because she remembers me as being content and thought I would enjoy the devotion.   I did enjoy it and I thank Betty for sending this to me as she has several other times in the past.    The devotion spoke to me specifically and I felt impelled to include parts of it in this journal, especially since it started off with one of my favorite life Bible verses.  .  .  .

In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. —1 Thessalonians 5:18

A poet once wrote: “As a rule, man’s a fool. When it’s hot, he wants it cool. And when it’s cool, he wants it hot. Always wanting what is not.”

What an insightful observation on human nature! I read in Philippians 4:11, “I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content” This really is  possible!  Contentment doesn’t happen overnight. It’s something that we learn, but it's learned through faith.

Philippians 4:12-13 Paul states: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength”.   Paul’s relationship with God superseded whatever he did or did not have. His contentment was not based on his circumstances, but on his relationship with Christ.

I have been a very content person for many, many years of our marriage.  But after reading the above paragraph I question if my contentment is based on circumstances or on my relationship with Christ.  I think I have to admit for many, many years it is based on my circumstances ~ I'm just a content person; however, I must also admit that while I am content in circumstances, I am not content with my relationship with Christ.  I want it to be more than it is, more than what I am putting into it.  I need to work at improving my relationship with my Lord and Savior.  I need to pour more of my heart and soul and life into my spiritual health.

As our relationship with God develops over time and through experiences, we learn to trust God more and ourselves less. Paul knew that Christ would give him the strength to persevere in whatever situation he encountered (v.13).

The world is filled with so much good
That brings us joy and pleasure,
But true contentment only comes
When Christ we love and treasure.

We find contentment at the same place we find salvation ~ in Christ.  Contentment is an eventful goal in life to be learned and lived.  Happy is the person who is content ~ in all things and in Christ!

Love the moment and enjoy the journey.

1 comment:

Lee Nichols said...

Sandi you write so beautifully. I think you wrote this one special just for me I will re-read it often. Thank you,
Lee