Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Event ~ 100 Years

Emmanuel Congregational Church celebrated their 100th anniversary this year.  We have shared in several events through the summer to celebrate as a congregation ~ as a family united in Christ.  This past weekend, September 11 and 12, we  shared in an eventful Saturday evening picnic followed by a celebration of praise and memory sharing.  Aunt Edna was present for a performance (Aunt Edna, as in eVENTful Friends).  The vent performance went over extremely well, especially with the adult audience.  Lots of laughter and lots of compliments.  It made me feel good.  Of course the children also liked it.  They were sitting at my feet in awe!


Sunday we again shared with more fellowship, an extremely good sermon by Pastor John, and communion served by Pastor John, Pastor Scovil, and Pastor Sauer.  Pastor's Scovil and Sauer are two former pastors who returned to share in the event and share their memories.  We were not around when Pastor Sauer was here, but Pastor Scovil was our minister for 17 years. 

 
Pastor Larry Scovil

Pastor Scovil touched our hearts and lives and was a good friend as well as shepherd from  1986 to 2003.  Pastor John Adams has also touched our hearts and lives and is a friend as well as our current pastor since 2003.  They are two extremely different people with two extremely different preaching methods, two extremely different styles, but both with caring, compassionate hearts and a love for the Lord that does not falter, even in their weaknesses.  They have both impacted our lives.   We have been blessed to have them in our lives. 

Tim and I have grown so much spiritually in the 23 years that we have been part of this church family. In our 23 years here, the message was always preached from the Bible but in down to earth fashion that was relative to our life today.  Not a history lesson that didn't apply to living today.  But Bible history has come alive to us as the Word that was recorded BC and the 2000+ years since applies to our life today.  True, the Bible never changes ~ the Word that was written back then for the benefit of the people still applies to us today. 

I was fed spiritually in this church that I was never spiritually fed and nourished in my childhood Lutheran church or the United Church of Christ that we attended following marriage that Tim's grandfather was a charter founder of.  Of course, for many years ~ until spring 1981 ~  I didn't really have Christ as part of my life ~ I was only a church attender.  Christ in one's life makes a big difference in understanding.

Both Alexis and Cash were confirmed at Emmanuel Church.  Janel was confirmed in Bayard at Faith United, but was married at Emmanuel.  Tim has been Board President on and off for several years, deacon at other times, and currently a trustee.  I have served as Sunday School Superintendent for about 6 years in our early years there.  Tim and I were co-teachers for a year to a class of second graders.  We both learned as much as they did, or more!  I remember we taught from the Old Testament on the Judges.  Quite interesting.  I continue to present the children's sermon in church about once a month.  My eVENTful friends help me witih that! 

Today, Emmanuel Church struggles to stay afloat ~ even alive!  Like so many churches today.  There is not a perfect church established because churches are filled with sinners.  So how can a church be perfect?  I don't just mean the building, but the entirety of people who make up "the church".   But a church continues to remain a place of fellowship, of being fed spiritually, growing in the Word, drawing close to God;  a safe haven, a place to reach out to when burdened with pain, illness, suffering, hurt, despair because therein is found caring and loving arms and those who will pray with you and for you.  It's also a place to share joys, happiness, celebrations, as a church family will celebrate joys with you as they share burdens with you.

Even though we struggle as a church, and even though I am often tempted to visit around and see what else is out there, this church has become my family, and I am not going to run from it when it's own problems are exposed.  Rather, I choose to stay and be part of the solution moving forward.   I don't always like all the goings-on and ruffled feathers and what not that is even found within the realm of the church, but one can't escape that in any earthly church until entering the perfect church ~ the Kingdom of God ~ heaven. 

The church is not a building ~ the church is a people.  One can worship God, talk to God, pray to God, where ever they are, whenever they want.  But fellowship with the people that make up the church and the support of them,  and the spiritual leading from the shepherd within the church is a benefit of being part of that family.  Today I have many friends within the church.  It has helped me to build my own foundation and the foundation of our home on a solid rock, a firm foundation ~ that being Christ our Lord.   AMEN!

No comments: