Friday, April 25, 2014

The Event ~ Lost! and Found AGAIN!

In 1997 when we hosted Daniel Muerer as a foreign exchange student from Germany, his parents came over to the United States to share in the celebration of Daniel's high school graduation from SHS.  They came laden with gifts for the entire family ~ several gifts for each family member.

One of the gifts they game me was a beautiful ring with a small sappire, a jade, and a amethyst and 18 tiny zirconios.  I've had it for almost 17 years now.
And I have lost it twice.  Just today I found it again.  The first time I lost it was several years ago, not sure just when.   Then one day I found it in the bottom of my tea towel drawer in the kitchen.  It must have just fell off when I was digging through the towels in the drawer.  I was so happy to have found it.

Most recently, I wore the ring to Grandpa Leo's 90th birthday party.  Or so I thought I did.  When I got home and taking off my jewelry, the ring was not on my finger.  I was devasted.  I looked in the car, all over the floors of the house.  I remembered drying my hands with paper towels both at the church and at the restaurant that evening, and was sure I slipped it off into the paper towels and threw it away.  That was 56 days ago.  Today, as I was sweeping the basement, I reached into the freezer room for the dust pan, and there on the floor lays the ring, in front of the filing cabinet beside the freezer.  Now I have been into the filing cabinet several times in the last month and a half, and into the freezer almost daily.  You'd think I would have seen it on the floor.  
Once again, I was so happy to have found it once again.  

But to add to this story, I also have a small black sapphire pinkie ring that I have also lost and found twice.  The first time I lost it was just another day at work maybe about 10 years ago.  Same thing.  Got home and no ring on my pinkie finger.   About a week later, Alexis calls to tell me the package I sent her arrived and in the bottom was this ring, and she wondered if I meant to send that to her as well!  She quickly mailed it back to me!

About seven years ago we were in Phoenix eating at a restaurant with family members.  Before we left the restaurant, I noticed my sapphire ring missing.  But that time, I did remember having it on earlier in the day.   I was in the restroom while at restaurant, again drying my hands with paper towels.  I went back to the restroom, but the garbage container was a locked container.  Melinda and I got someone who could unlock the disposal, and sure enough, laying precariously on top of some paper towels was my ring!  Found again!

Speaking of lost jewelry, I lost a turquoise dangle earring, and could only think that it came off when I was bending over picking rhubarb at the neighbors.  But nothing found there.  A few weeks later, I found it inside my shower cap that was hanging on a bathroom hook.  I had used the shower cap several times, but it always stayed tucked inside the elastic gathering.  Crazy!  

Now I try to be more attentive when drying my hands so as not to slip off any rings.  However, my wedding ring and my anniversary ring fit tight enough that I can't take it off even when I try without a little soapy lubricant.  

It's such an eventful feeling when something that was once lost-- again and again --  is found again -- and again -- and again.  

No comments: