Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Event ~ College Ministry

Sunday, February 16, Tim and I hosted 12 young college students in our home for lunch.  College students who attend our church, Monument Bible Church.  The church has a ministry to feed college students after church on Sundays.  Whoever wants to feed the students, either in their home or in the church fellowship hall just signs up for a Sunday on the sign-up sheet at church.  This is the second time we have done this.

We didn't know how many to expect, because every Sunday is different as to number of students who come.  It could be as few as three or as many as fifteen.  This time we had twelve.  What a delightful group of young people.  These students actually all go to Frontier Bible College in Lagrange, WY.  Sometimes, there are some present from WNCC as well. 

They said this was a good Sunday for them because the homework was light this weekend.  So they were able to linger longer after lunch.  They enjoyed exploring the farm yard and buildings and playing with Merle.  We enjoyed visiting with them until about 3:15 in the afternoon.  It's interesting that they come from all over the country to attend this little Bible College in this little tiny village of 150 people.  I always think it must be quite a culture shock for them, but they all know what they are coming to before they get here.  When school is in session, the village population explodes to 300 people.  The students we had the pleasure of feeding were from Montana, Michigan, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Washington, eastern Nebraska, and I forget where else. 

We served chili and chicken noodle soup, cinnamin rolls and chocolate pie, coconut/banana cream pie, and lemon merange pie.  It was a good fellowship event.  In church we at the last minute invited our new friends and neighbors from church, Elsie and Bill Gregory, to join us.  I knew we had plenty of food regardless of how many showed up.  Bill is the carpenter who rebuilt my round oak table, and I have been wanting to have them over to share a meal with us around our new table.  It was a fun time. 

I remember when Cash was in Indiana serving as youth director in a church there after graduation from college, he was always invited to someone's house for dinner after church.  I thought that was so awesome that church members would invite young people into their home for a meal.  A ministry event that is so appreciated by young students who are so far away from home.  God is good!

No comments: