Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Event ~ The Morning Walk at Sunrise

The sunrise continues to be the most awesome event to experience.
For several years I have enjoyed getting up early (earlier than usual) and getting in a swift two-mile walk.  The early morning hours are the best time of the day, the calmest time of the day.  Walking in that calm, serene is a perfect time for prayer and meditation.   

I don't walk in the winter time or in stormy elements.  I'm not one of those die-hard walkers who are out there regardless of the weather.  I am a fair-weather walker!  I am  noticing it is getting harder and harder to get up earlier and earlier.  However, I think this gloomy, rainy, cold weather that has infringed into our normal beautiful April and May days are to blame for my resistance to getting up.   The weather is just not cooperating lately.

However, this morning, after a long, hard rain through the nite, it was quiet and serene and the sun showed promise of breaking through the clouds.  My husband prompted me to get up and walk, and I stood at the window observing the overcast sky and crawled back into bed.  With more guilt-laden prompting, I arose, dressed, and headed out the door.

The minute I stepped outside, I took in the fresh air and the warmth, calmness and stillness of the morning, and was so glad I did not waste this moment lingering longer in bed.   I walked my two miles, and then pulled a few weeds when I returned to the yard, and planted my cabbage plants in the garden. 

Today, the sun shown brightly through a parting in the clouds as it rose above the horizon.  Again, I felt thankful that I had not missed this sunrise. The sunrise is a most amazing event. 

I use this time to pray for my children, my friend Lori and her family, other friends in need,  my family, and today the people in Joplin, Missouri and other areas suffering weather wrath.   I give thanks to God for creating the beauty around me.  I sing the Doxolgy ~ "Praise God from whom all blessings flow. . . ." and the song I learned in Sunday School  as a child ~ "Thank you Lord for saving my soul, thank you Lord for making me whole.  Thank you Lord for giving to me. thy great salvation so rich and free."     I also talk to myself as I practice some ventriloquist dialogue.  This morning it was Delila ~ my pink and purple scatter brained bird ~  whom I conversed with.  It seems she wants to sing in the choir, insisting that all God's creatures have a place in the choir.  .   .   .  

1 comment:

Melissa Amateis said...

I wish I were more of a morning person. I just never have been. But on those rare mornings when I am up at the crack of dawn, I just glory in the beauty of it all. :-)