April 18, 1998 is the day my father died very unexpectedly. He had been hospitalized for something which I can't remember. But he received his dismissal papers and was dressed and ready to go home when he sat back down on the hospital bed to regain his composure, equilibrium, or whatever, because all of a sudden he didn't feel right. He laid back down on the bed and died a few hours later. The doctors must have known it was something serious and out of the ordinary because I was called and told they didn't think he was going to live. Tim and I hit the road as fast as we could to get to Billings, MT, but Dad was gone by the time we got to the hospital.
I remember it was on a Saturday. Tim and Janel were here for the weekend because they came to see Cash in the high school musical that weekend. We all had tickets for the Saturday night performance. Tim and Janel and Cash drove to Billings the next day.
Dad was cremated, and later in the summer, by brother Allen and his wife Suzy, and my Mom took Dad's ashes to the old homestead farm that he grew up on and buried his ashes on a knoll on the farm. They also planted tulips among the wild flowers and sagebrush.
Later Mom had a stone made and placed at the burial site. Tim and I were able to visit the site several years ago when we were in the area. My cousins Arvid and Sherry took us out there. It was a solemn event. I miss my Dad.




No comments:
Post a Comment