Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Event ~ Meal Time at Janel's

In early March Tim and I made another trip to Eagle, NE where Janel and Tim live with their seven robust children ~ my seven robust grandchildren.  ROBUST:  having or exibiting strength or vigorous health; rough; strongly formed.   Yep, robust is a good word to describe them.  The occasion was Joshua's confirmation.  It was good to be there and share this special day with him.

But there is something about going to Janel's house that ~ despite the hectic activity and anything but calming ~ is a feel of a healthy heartwarming home filled with love, exuberance and cherished family time.  Specifically:  meal time.  Amidst all the activity Janel releases her stress in the kitchen.  She is a darn good cook and her children and her husband know it, love it, enjoy it.  High on her priority list is sit down together family meals ~ whether it be breakfast, snacks, lunch or dinner.  It is together time. 

Even on school days, the children and mom and dad are at the breakfast table together.  Dinner is family time.  This is an experience that is nearly becoming a lost art in homes across the country.  But it is kept alive in the Andreasen home. 























Another practice in the Andreasen house is the red "You are Special" plate or the white "Celebrate" plate.  These plates are only used on special occasions only by the special celebrant.  Breakfast in bed is served on it every morning an Andreasen celebrates a birthday ~ child or mom or dad.  It gets used for birthday dinners, confirmations, first communions, and other days that are found to be special in the lives of one  of the Andreasens.  Certainly a tradition that will be a cherished memory as these children grow up and start traditions in their own homes.

Janel has a special way of making a special day very special in the lives of her children.  And she has a special way of making meal time a family time. 

She doesn't cut any corners when cooking for her family.  Eating at her house is an event ~ a very filling event!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so refreshing to see in this day and age - I can't help but think that her mom had a positive influence - I remember eating at your house - it was always so pleasant:-) Wonderful post.

Melissa Amateis said...

I don't know how Janel does it, but I salute her! God has given her a special gift. :-)

fullofgracex9 said...

I love cooking for my family, and I love it even more when I get to cook for the rest of my family too!! You're always welcome (and encouraged) to our table!!! I certainly didn't learn this after I left home. Thank you!! :)