Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Event ~ Going Gently Through the Years

Years and years ago I heard a song sung at an anniversary celebration in our church in Bayard.  The song just spoke to me with its words ~ the message was so simple.   I have kept a copy of that song in my Bible ever since. 

I requested the song be sung at the confirmations of my daughter Alexis and my son Cash; again in church on graduation day for each of them.  All the grandchildren and great grandchildren that were present at my parents 50th wedding anniversary sang it together to them (after a quick 15 minute practice).    Actually, we didn't do a very good job, but it was the thought that counts.   It's a song I request to be sung at my own funeral - take note kids!

The song is titled "Go Gently Through the Years".  Now as I am writing this, I see the words and music are written by a lady whose last name is Rutledge.  Is this a coincidence or what???  Cash will be marrying a Rutledge  in two months!  The person who sang it at the above confirmations and graduations will also be singing at their wedding. 

1.  Go gently through the years, but go with strength.  Don't be ashamed of tears, of anger or of fears.  For they'r a part of you and you're alive.
2.  Go firmly through the night, but go in peace.  Know for yourself what's right, keep all your goals in sight.  For they're a part of you and you're alive.
3.  Walk bravely through each day, and go with God.  Show that you know the way, in things you do and say.  For they're a part of you and you're alive.
4.  Walk daily with your Lord, and walk in faith.  Meet Him in prayer each day, and He'll show you the way.  For He's a part of you and love you so.

The melody and the words are close to my heart and speak a truth that should be lived daily.  Blessings!

No comments: