Occassionally I use our 2007 Family Reunion Cookbook, and once in a while I will refer to one of the church cookbooks.
What I tend to use most is a pile of printed recipes and clippings. The printed recipes come to me in emails or via facebook, and I think, "Oh this looks so good. I can make this." So I print the recipe and add it to the stack. Facebook and Pinterest are being inundated with fabulous mouth watering recipes that I print. I want to just say "STOP IT! STOP POSTING THESE DROOLING RECIPES!"
A while back I finally went through all the recipes and put them in file folders specifically labeled by ingredient, ie: "Zuchinni" "Rhubarb" "Pumpkin" "Ground Beef"
"Chicken" and some by catergory such as "Mexican" "Canning" "Breakfasts" "Desserts" "Cakes"
"Soup" "Salad" "Miscellaneous" etc. Get the picture??
But when it comes to dinnertime, I always ask "What can I make". The folders of recipes have become as overwhelming as the cookbooks!
So this week I have started going through each file folder, carefully reading through each recipe, throwing out the duplicates or the ones I decide I really don't want after all, making notes on them, and mostly keeping the ones that are obviously very easy, and that I know I can make with ingredients I usually have on hand.
| Sorting through the Mexican recipes |
A few weeks ago, I made shrimp and angel hair pasta. Me? Make shrimp? With pasta? Wow, that's almost unbelievable. But I printed the recipe and made it before the recipe got buried in the pile. And it was so simple, and so good!
I am in the middle of sorting through the "Mexican" recipe folder. I will have to sort that folder twice because right now I have a pile of about 16 different enchilada recipes in one pile alone, in addition to the mexican casseroles, the fajitas, the burritos, the mexican desserts, etc. So after the initial purging, I will have to go back through and purge again. I don't think I need 16 enchilada recipes! I must be a little more diciplined in this!
Tonite we are going to an event during the dinner time at which we will graze, and that will be our supper. I was actually disappointed that I didn't have to make dinner tonite! SHOCK!
I should no longer be at a loss as to what to make for dinner! I wonder how long this "high" will last. One could bet money on it!! Anyway, I just want cooking not to be so hard for me. I want to enjoy it more, and not have fixing dinner be such a chore! I want dinner preparation to be a fun, exciting and enjoyable event with new creations! Time will tell. . . . . . .

1 comment:
I think you and I have switched roles...not only do I never have what I need to complete a recipe...I really have no desire to cook anything and when I do, it doesn't turn out. I wouldn't dream of trying something new!! Enjoy your high...that's how cooking is supposed to be!!! Someday I'll get my high back!
Post a Comment