Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Event ~ Worry

Worry is an event ~ an unpleasant event.  An unpleasant event that strips valuable time and resources from my day.  An unpleasant event that fills my head with negativity.  An unpleasant event that weighs heavily on me and creates an unnecessary burden for me to carry.  An unpleasant event that stirs trouble in my soul and mind.  An unpleasant event that causes me to want to be a control freak, which makes me an unpleasant person.   Worry can be a daily event that wears a person down. 

So why do I worry?    And what do I worry about? 

I think I worry most about my children.  Why?  Is it because I love them so much, I don't want them to suffer through trials,  and I only want absolutely the best and most perfect of life for them, and when it is anything less than that, I worry?  I worry about my husband ~ especially when he doesn't come home from the field or somewhere in the time frame that I expect him.  What bad thing has happened?
I worry about the future ~ I worry about the kind of society my grandkids will have to survive in (in a time when I will not even be around anymore!)  And I worry about their safety in a world filled with kidnappers and murders and drugs and peer pressure.   

STOP!  This is all useless negativity.  First of all, my children are all beautiful, well educated, capable, hard working, selfless, giving, thoughtful, and loving.  They can take care of themselves and only need my love, not my worry.  My husband is the best event that has ever happened to me, and the most meaninful daily event in my life.  God is in control of all of them, not me. 

So when I was reading my latest issue of Guideposts magazine, I was severely hit in the head when I read an "Upside Quote"  ~ "Worry is like praying for what you don't want!"   OMG  If all that "mind time" went into prayer instead of worry, my entire family would benefit.  That quote has stuck into my mind and nearly rid me of that wicked word, leaving a prevailing peace.

After all, comfort and prosperity have not enriched our lives as much as trials have, when I consider that trials draw us closer to God.  And as the song goes, "Just a Closer Walk with Thee,"  is what I most desire for those I love most.

It is my understanding that God will never leave us or forsake us and He will walk with us through the trial.  In the middle of our worst trials, we can hold onto God’s promise that He will always be there for us – even when He remains unseen and unfelt.  That promise is sure.  I expect God to remain with me and my family in any storm, lead us through it, and make us stronger and more faithful and better off because of it.

So my goal is to let go of worry and let God work according to His will in our lives.  Can I let go of all these pretentious fears?  I don't know.  But I'm not going to worry about it. . .  Just give God the glory for enriching my life through the family he has blessed me with. 

No comments: