Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Event ~ Listing

For Christmas 2011, my grandchildren worked creatively to personalize for me and Grandpa "Our Book of Lists".  Obviously, it was more "MY Book of Lists", but some of the lists apply to both of us.

The first page was titled "Places You've Lived. . ."

A little pink house in Terry, MT where I grew up

A big white house in Terry, MT where we moved to when I was maybe in 8th grade.

The girls dorm at NCB in Rapid City, SD June 1968-Dec 1969 when I went to college.

An apartment on Sherman St in Denver, CO while working as a legal secretary Jan 1970 - Nov 1970

A two-story house two miles east of Bayard when Tim and I got married Dec 1970 - Spring 1974.

A tiny white bungalow house 1 mile west of Bayard on a farm we boughtt 1974 - 1977.

A big beautiful green house we built on the corner hill on the same farm 1 mile west of Bayard 1977 - Oct 1986.

A blue and grey house on 1906 Ave K in Scottsbluff after we left the farm Oct 1986 - Dec 1989.

An old farm house 2 miles north west of Scottsbluff that we fixed up and we still call home today.  Jan 1, 1990 - present day.   

Page 2:  "Favorite Toys as a Child. . ."

A beautiful bride doll named Roberta.  My Aunt Bertha and cousin Evelyn made her lots of clothes when I took her out to their farm with me and spent a week or two with them.  I gave the doll and all her clothes to a toy collection drive that my FHA chapter was having when I was maybe a sophmore or junior in high school.  I wish I had pictures, because I can still vividly picture her and her beautiful clothes.  My granddaughters would have enjoyed Roberta.

A soft rubbery fat baby doll with curly blonde hair.

Coloring books.  I loved to color as a child, and I was very good at coloring!

A spirograph which I remember doodling with alot.

A metal doll house with lots of plastic furniture.  An heirloom and antique today if I still had it.

A metal dish set used for playing house with my dolls with my red/white table & chair set.

A small suitcase style record player that played lots and lots of records on in my bedroom.

These are the first things that come to mind when I think of the toys I played with as a child. 

I also played alot of pasture softball and hide and seek with all the neighborhood kids.

Page 3:  "American Cities You've Visited. . ."

As I think of them in no particular order. . .

Sacramento, San Francisco, New Orleans, Orlando, Cleveland, Chicago, Mionneapolis, Elkhart, San Antonio, Billings, Cheyenne, Denver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Albuquerque,  Santa Fe, Ft. Worth,  New York, Virginia Beach, Corpus Christi, Miami Beach, Nashville, Daytona Beach, Bismark, Bozeman, Boise, Lincoln, Great Falls, Las Vegas, San Luis Obispo, Skagway, Juneau, Salt Lake City, Boston, Bismark, Scottsdale, Cincinnati, Bartlesville, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Bennington & Burlington VT, little towns in New Hampshire, and many other small cities. . .

Page 4:  "Best Gifts You've  Ever Received. . ."

Pearl ring, engagement ring, 11 long stemmed yellow roses, diamond bracelet, (all from my soul mate!), pink easter dress and white gloves from my Dad, sewing machine for high school graduation,  cards from my kids with personal and thoughtful hand written notes (I still have them all!), a red/white drum majorette form Janel  and a lady pin cushion from  Alexis when they went Christmas shopping  at Western Auto when they were little (I still have both and still use the pin cushion!), surprise fix it projects from Cash in our absence, such as flower beds and painted basement floors.  These are the first things that come to mind, although there are many more that will come to mind from time to time.

Page 5:  "Best Purchases. . . "

An old round oak table and four oak school chairs purchased from a "junk lady" near Bridgeport in 1978.  The table had been used as a shop work table.  I sanded and stained it all and continue to use the set today.  It's the table my family was raised around.  Alot of memories have been made at that table.

Page  6:  "Favorite TV Shows. . ."

Then:  Father Knows Best, My Three Sons, The Waltons, Dallas
Now:  Celebrity Apprentice, The Firm,  Boston Legal,  House Hunters, Design Star, Food Network.

Page 7:  "People From History You'd like to have a Conversation With. . ."

Mary, mother of Jesus,  Martha Washington, wife of President George Washington, My Dad, Noah's family, my grandparents

Page 9 "Things People Should Remember you For. . ."  The cabbage burgers I would cart around the country;  my contentment and calmness;  my conservativeness (some may call it being cheap) and trying to teach my kids financial finess.  I wonder what others would answer on this one!

Page 16:  "Things You'd like to do Before You Die. . ."

Visit Norway,  take a (fun) family destination vacation with all my kids and grandkids,  attend high school and college graduations of all my grandchildren, be a Great grandmother & hold my great-grandchildren, go to culinary school and learn to cook (ha-ha!),  skip the school and just learn to enjoy cooking,  

Page 19:  "Bad Things You Did as a Kid. . ."

I was always a good kid, except when I. . . blew my snotty nose into my nanny's flannel nightgown; stole a pop from my Dad's pop machine in his shop;  waxed my mom's linoleum living room floor with oily dusting polish making it so slick and shiny it was dangerous;  fought all the time with my oldest brother;  knocked my youngest brother against the wall and thought I killed him; 

Page 29:  "Favorite Smells. . ."

Lilacs in full bloom,  fresh baked bread and cinnamin rolls, wood burning in the fireplace, fresh cut hay.

So this is a sampling from "Our Book of Lists".  This requires alot of thought. . .

No comments: