Monday, December 5, 2011

The Event ~ It's a Black and White Tradition!

Looking ahead to hosting Christmas this year, I know we MUST have the traditional black and white fudge.  This is a sweet treat I grew up with.  My mom made it every year for years that I can remember growing up.  I'm not sure where she got the original recipe, but it was one of those recipes that has to be passed down through the generations.   A Christmas tradition for sure.  I know she still makes a batch of it each year.

I remember for several years I couldn't get it quite right.  Then I discovered I was not beating it good after taking it off the heat and before putting it in the pan.  Sometimes the atmospheric pressure also plays a part in how certain foods turn out, including fudge and candies of any kind. 

This fudge is awesome, and so-o-o bad for you!  But so-o-o- good!  It's hard not to just keep eating piece after piece after piece!  So I've got a container of five dozen pieces in the freezer waiting to put out on Christmas Eve.  With 26 people around, that's like only two pieces each.  Maybe we can hide it from the little kids!!  My mouth is watering as I write this.  Do I need to make more???  This is worth coming home for, isn't it???

The Recipe:

Black Fudge:  Combine in 3 qt kettle:  3 cups sugar, 1 ½ Tble white syrup, 1 ½ cups cream,   4 Tble cocoa.  Cook to softball stage.   Remove from heat.  Add:  1 Tble butter, 1  Tble vanilla, ¾ cup nuts. Do NOT overcook beyond soft ball.   Beat with electric mixer until creamy,  1 1/2  -  2 1/2  minutes.  Pour into well-buttered 9 x 13 pan.

White Fudge: Repeat the same as Black Fudge, but omit the cocoa.  (I cook the white fudge a couple degrees longer than the black fudge because it tends to be softer without the cocoa).    Pour on top of black fudge. 

Without a candy thermometer you will know when soft ball stage is reached when a  drop of mixture dropped into a small bowl of cold water can be shaped into a ball with your fingers.

Keeping simple family traditions alive is an event worthy of keeping alive through generations.  Black and white fudge and lefsa are two traditions that I hope can be passed on for generations to come. 

1 comment:

Shanon Noteboom said...

Love the fudge! Grandma kilber made it on holidays and it was hidden til someone found it and rehid it!