Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Event ~ It's a Mystery, I'm Clueless

For most of the years that I have been actively quilting, I always seem to start a new project in the spring and summer.  Haven't quite figured that out because winter is suppose to be the time to work on projects like that.  Maybe it's because I'm not fond of outdoor yard and garden work, and my quilt projects pacify me in place of active outdoor gardening.  While most people are beautifying their yards with flower beds, I shudder at the thought of trying to make my yard beautiful with flowers.  It's a lost cause for me for the most part.  I struggle with yard work.  It puts me in tears every spring!  I have appreciated so much anything Cash has done in my yard through the years.  He enjoys it.  I don't. 

Anyway, that has nothing to do with the mystery alluded to in the title above.  But has everything to do with quilting in the middle of summer.

As I am finishing up Cash and Annie's quilt ~ which is turning out remarkedly beautiful for a scrappy patchwork, I'm also embarking on yet another quilting project.  I usually don't finish one and start another so close together.  But the quilt shop was hosting a summer mystery quilt project.  I've never participated in a mystery quilt project before, but decided I would do this one.

Instructions were to buy certain yardages of fabric:  a medium print focus fabric with lots of color; and a light, medium, and dark complementing fabric.  Instruction clues are given once a week for six weeks.  The last set of instructions being options of how to set the pieces together for the finished product.    I have no idea what the pattern is, how it will look.  It will be pieced together mysteriously as we are given clues (instructions) a little at a time.

So I've purchased the fabric, and cut it according to the first clue.   It sits here now, as I wait for the next clue. It's a mystery to me, and right now I am clueless.  I am pleased with my fabric choices.  Just hope I am pleased with the finished project!  Stay tuned.
I am not a die hard quilter, but it is something I enjoy.  To my own amazement I have actually made well over 30 quilts throughout the years.   Many of these quilts are pictured in an entry dated May 24, 2010.  Each of my kids each have at least two or three, including their own baby quilts, and each of my grandkids have at least one, and a few have received two.   It's an eventful hobby. 

1 comment:

Melissa Amateis said...

This sounds like SUCH a neat project! I'm anxious to see what the finished quilt looks like.

I'm not an outdoor yard person, either. The only flowers I have are in pots and therefore, very easy to take care of. I really wish I liked gardening more as I do love flowers, but there is SO much work involved...